Tortang alimasag is an easy and versatile Filipino recipe. Since leftover crab is quite hard to stay fresh for a long time, most people just take the crab meat from its shells and store it in the refrigerator. One of the great ways to make use of the stored crab meat is with tortang alimasag or crab omelette which can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Paprika – ½ tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp, melted
- Calamansi juice – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Egg yolk – 1 piece, beaten slightly
- Onions – 1 tbsp, minced
- Parsley – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Button mushrooms – ½ cup, chopped
- Crab meat – 1 ½ cups, save the 6 shells
- Nestle All-Purpose Cream – ¾ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cayenne pepper – to taste
- Maggi Savor Classic – 1 tbsp
- Flour – 1 tbsp
- Margarine or butter – 3 tbsp
- Get a pan and put it over medium-level heat. Melt the margarine or butter. Stir in the flour, cayenne pepper, salt and Maggi savor.
- Mix in the all-purpose cream. Allow the mixture to simmer until it turns thick.
- Add the onions, parsley, mushrooms and crab meat. Stir well.
- Brush butter on the 6 crab shells and divide the crab meat mixture into each of them. Set aside.
- Combine the paprika, butter, calamansi juice, mustard and egg yolk. Mix well then brush on the crab meat.
- Pan-fry the shells with the meat mixture until it turns golden brown. Put it on paper towels to get rid of excess oil. Serve and enjoy!
If you want to give the tortang alimasag a fancy twist, try adding tomatoes which has been finely chopped, red pepper which has been diced and then sautéed, dill sprigs and other herbs that you have in stock.